BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Proposal!

It finally happened! I meant to write about it sooner, but only now do I have the opportunity after a very long day.

Tuesday, September 15 went almost completely like a normal day. Aside from the fact that it would be the last full day I'd spent with my Bruno for another six months. Aside from the fact that it would be the day my Bruno would finally ask my hand.

The day was nothing special, which is exactly why it was so spectacular to me.

We both woke up early, in each other's arms as always. For the last month or so, we'd been sleeping on a pile of blankets and pillows on the floor of the living room. What started as a silly pillow-fort became the perfect way to fall asleep peacefully, awake early in the morning light of the large windows, and feel just achy and uncomfortable enough to not want to go back to sleep.

Upon waking, we popped in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which we'd been watching religiously during our free time together. We were already on Season Seven, the last televised season of the series. I always enjoyed watching Buffy when it aired on TV, and after seeing a Season One Buffy/Angel combo pack at Wal-Mart for a steal of a price, I had to get it. Being the amazing boyfriend he always was, he began watching it with me. Turns out - he loves it. So, of course, we buy all the other seasons of the series and promptly watch them.

Midway through our shows, Bruno decided to skip his classes so that we could continue watching. At 5:00 pm, just after finishing the second-to-last episode of the season, we showered and prepared to meet Bruno's old high school friend Dusty for an affordable and tasty dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. Six Caribbean Jerk, six Medium, six Hot, and six Garlic Parmesan traditional wings between Bruno and I, followed by apple pie for dessert. Nummy!

Afterward, the three of us went to Byblos hookah lounge to hang out, as is customary. Bruno had a Svyturys, while I had a Chocolate Banana Milkshake blended with coconut rum, followed by a shot of Crown with Dusty.

The three of us were back at the apartment by 10:30 pm, and Dusty took his leave. I promptly went to the bathroom to wash off my makeup, change out of my clothes, and prepare for bed. Towards the end of my usual routine, however, Bruno called me out to the living room to "See what the cat is doing." I went out, assuming Kitty was doing another wacky, adorable antic, but found nothing but a smiling Bruno. He took hold of my hands and proceeded to tell me how much he would miss me while I'm gone. He continued by adding that he couldn't see me off without making sure I'm properly clothed. I know he said some other things, but I don't think I could understand a word. All I know is that suddenly he's kneeling down in front of me, and reaching behind the couch for a red box. Meanwhile, I'm becoming teary and saying 'no' over and over again. When he opens the box and I see the beautiful ring inside, I start bawling. He gives me a huge hug, and for some reason I stray into the bedroom - before the ring is even on my finger! He meets me there, as I bawl even more, and I finally say "You never even asked the question!" to which he replies "I assumed all the crying was a yes". I request that he ask anyway, which he does. I say yes, and he slips the ring on my finger.

So maybe it wasn't the most romantic engagement. No big, fancy, hundred dollar dinner. No JumboTron. No fireworks. No sappy, cheesy speech. And that's just how I wanted it. Completely unexpected, completely unrehearsed, completely natural, completely Bruno and Michelle. The only thing I would have like would have been if I had makeup on and were actually wearing real clothes.

Afterward, I asked Bruno if we could drive to TCU, then take a walk like we used to do when we first started dating. We ended up at the church, just as I expected we would, and we sat on the same bench we'd sat at so many times before. I told him about my wish that I had waited before changing and washing off my makeup, but he informed me that that is when he finds me the most beautiful - when I look comfortable and natural - no makeup, not all dressed up, none of it. It was sweet, and sitting in that dark church courtyard in my pajamas, with no makeup, with my hair a mess, wearing a beautiful ring that sparkled like the stars above of, and holding the hand of the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, he was right - I felt beautiful.

0 comments: