BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gathering Ideas

I don't know if any former brides have told you, but planning a wedding is overwhelming. I hardly even know where to start. I figure the best place to begin is by simply gathering a handful of ideas in order to determine my "vision". I've accumulated quite a collection of images and web links on my computer over the last year or so, and I'd like to share them here.

I am also trying to determine a "theme" for the reception. I've always seen my dream wedding as being large, glamorous, lavish, and extravagant, but obviously that's out of the question. So I'm torn between this:

Classic & Traditional: Nothing fancy...just your classic, stuffy, predictable wedding. A few personal touches here and there, but not much else. I'd want to try to make it as close to the "dream wedding" vision I've had my whole life, but obviously there would be many financial barriers. It would be a lower-budget, scaled down version of my dream. If I could afford it, I would love a cascade bouquet of orchids and lilies, my favorite flowers. I would want our monogram on everything, including the cake. The color scheme would be Tiffany blue (light aqua) and gold with black and white accents. I would also incorporate damasque prints, as I find them to be lovely.

Texan: The wedding will most likely be held in Fort Worth since it's where Bruno and I live and is also the central point between our two families. It seems only natural to go with the Cowtown theme, especially because I'm a proud Texas through and through. However, I'm not the only one with that idea, and it just seems far too cliche for my tastes. It seems like everyone who marries in Fort Worth goes for the all-out Texan theme, and it's honestly a bit run into the ground. Not only that, but, believe it or not, it is PRICEY, especially if you don't want to run the risk of overstepping the line between rancher-chic and redneck-trash. Plus, you can't have a Texas-inspired wedding without big, juicy Texas steaks served at a reception deep in the heart of the Fort Worth Stockyards, all of which is out of my budget. Of course we would play good ol' CLASSIC country music.

Southern Antebellum: As proud as I am of my Southern heritage, I would absolutely LOVE to have a classic, Dixie wedding. As much as I would prefer having the wedding in the Deep South, I'd have to work with what I've got. Even in Fort Worth, there are plenty of nice mansions that would suffice. After all, I wouldn't want it to look like a Civil War reenactment; I only want to draw inspiration. I love everything about the South, especially its ability to be classy without sacrificing comfort. I think it would be a lot of fun to serve good ol' Southern comfort food, sweet tea, and fresh lemonade. My bouquet would be a lush handful of gardenias, another of my favorite flowers. I grew up with a yard FULL of gardenia bushes, and the smell is absolutely wonderful.

Southern Country: Basically, I'm thinking a casual and more affordable version of the Southern Antebellum theme. Completely outdoors and low-key. Mason jar lanterns hanging from the trees, old-fashioned washbins filled with ice and bottled cokes, antique oil lamp centerpieces, sandalwood fans as favors, dancing on the lawn, classic country and southern music...maybe even some Skynard. Simple, but fun.

1940s Vintage: If you know me, you know that I was meant for the 40s. Even my engagement ring has a vintage feel to it. I love Big Band music, especially Glenn Miller, and I love the romance and glamour of the era. I think it would be a lot of fun to have a 40s-inspired wedding. The only catch is that it would be expensive.

Sleek & Modern: An evening cocktail reception over fifty-stories high in a building overlooking the Fort Worth skyline. Expensive, but classy. May also be boring, though.

Girly & Trendy
: Fashionable "princess" wedding. I'm thinking pink and aqua, lace and frills. Too bad it would be pricey.

Library
: I've seen library themes quite a few times online. Bruno and I both love reading, and I pretty much grew up in libraries. I think it could be fun to have a nice, small reception that gives off a library or study feel. I saw some really cute Save the Date bookmarks on another blog, as well as other cute ideas. Maybe I wouldn't do an all-out library theme, but to incorporate some touches here and there might be nice.

New Orleans Masquerade: I always thought it would be a lot of fun to have a wedding reception in New Orleans. It's a beautiful city, rich with culture and history. Great food, great music...everything is fabulous. Plus, they have some really amazing venues. I wouldn't want to do a modern Mardi Gras theme so much as I would want it to be more like a traditional masquerade ball. Mardi Gras themes are far too tacky and cliche. Again, this theme would be very pricey, and New Orleans is out of the way for pretty much everyone, including Bruno and I.

Traditional Cajun: Anyone who has any Cajun friends knows that they are HANDS DOWN the MOST fun people to party with. Sure, they're trashy and tacky, but they know how to have a good time. Part of me just wants to say "Screw traditional weddings, let's just have a coonass wedding!" It won't be pretty, it won't be classy - hell, it will downright tacky, but I know more people would have a good time here than with with any of these other themes. I'm thinking crawfish boil, gumbo, jambalaya, a live Cajun band, LOTS of liquor to include a trashcan of jungle juice (okay, the trashcan is taking it a little too far). No one will go home saying "What a charming wedding!" but I promise everyone will go home thinking about how much fun they had and that it will a night they will never forget. I think both my family and Bruno's would really enjoy it, and I think it would give everyone more of an opportunity to bond and get to know each other than they would in any other traditional wedding setting. I just don't know how I feel about forgoing my dreams of a "normal" wedding, though. Also, it would be really hard to get fresh seafood here in Fort Worth. This would be a theme better celebrated in southeast Texas or south Louisiana. But hey, a wedding on the Louisiana bayou means party barges!

0 comments: