BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Potential Venues: Keeping Austin Weird!

I know that's it's been ages since I last posted, but I promise I've been keeping busy. Most of my brainstorming go into random folders on my computer, as scribbles and sketches in one of my several wedding notebooks, or on a series of "inspiration boards" I've crafted out of foam board that now occupy the floor of my living room.

I've spent over a year searching for the perfect venue in the Dallas-Fort Worth area - a place with a beautiful rural landscape, a little bit rustic, a little bit vintage, and a whole lot of romantic - to no avail. The funny thing is, though, is that during my search, I've come across a handful of perfect places in Texas' gorgeous Hill Country. Bruno and I have been talking about it, and - though there are no certain plans yet - an Austin wedding may be in the works. I can't tell you how excited I am!

Austin is not only beautiful, but has a wonderful, one-of-a-kind culture. Yes, it's full of hipsters and neo-Bohemians, but I can deal with it in exchange for the earthy, eco-conscious, natural venues it offers.

There are several places in particular that Bruno and I have our heart set on scouting out the next time we're in the area, in no particular order:

1. Barr Mansion



Barr Mansion is the nation's first certified organic events facility. The mansion itself is an Eastlake Victorian home built in 1898. The really awesome place, though, was the Artisan Ballroom, which boasted an indoor waterfall and a wall made entirely of glass. Unfortunately, the Ballroom recently burnt down, and has temporarily been replaced with a glass barn. I absolutely love, love, LOVE this venue; however, the cons include the extremely high price and the provided catering, floral, etc. (which I'm sure are phenomenal, I just prefer to have the option of providing my own vendors).

2. Star Hill Ranch


Star Hill Ranch is comprised of several historic buildings from around central Texas and carefully restored. It looks almost like an Old West town. (I also want to note that Sweet Caroline Photography IS going to be my photographer. I haven't booked her yet, but I refuse to hire anyone else - unless its her equally talented boyfriend Ben Godkin.)

3. Allan House


Located in the heart of downtown Austin, within walking distance of the state capitol and the historic Driskill Hotel (where I hope to reserve a block of rooms for out-of-town guests), the Allan House is an absolutely gorgeous Victorian home that exudes Southern charm.

4. Mercury Hall


Located inside south Austin (just minutes from downtown, though you wouldn't know it from all the trees surrounding the venue), Mercury Hall is a charming former chapel, built in 1904 and later relocated to its current location. I love its comfy, rural feel combined with its convenient location near downtown Austin.

5. Vista West Ranch


Vista West Ranch is located in Dripping Springs, just west of Austin. It's uber rustic, but I love it. Building features include weathered wood, aged tin, and stained concrete.

6. Old Glory Ranch


Old Glory Ranch is located in Wimberly, about half-an-hour southwest of Austin towards San Antonio. The ranch is located right on the bank of the Blanco River, and the entire venue has an Old West feel. My favorite part is the Chapel Hall, which looks like an old mission. They also have MINIATURE-freakin'-DONKEYS carting around bottles of beer! How cool is that?! (BTW, Jake Holt Photography is FABULOUS.)

7. Three Points Ranch


Three Points Ranch, located in Round Mountain (about 45 minutes southwest of Austin), has been family owned and operated since 1929 and stretches over several hundred acres of Hill Country. I am absolutely in love with its rustic barn and beautiful landscape. Another awesome feature of Three Points is its airstream trailer camp, which can be rented out to guests. Orrrr there's always camping in tents! I LOVE the idea of offering our more adventurous guests the option to overnight at the venue after an evening of heavy drinking and marshmallow roasting...but that's a blog topic for another day!

I can't wait to scout out these places with my wonderful husband-to-be!

On another note, I am happy to announce our new Facebook page:

0 comments: